Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Happy Mother's Day!

Ok, so there has been this long standing joke within my family about my cooking......I absolutely suck at it! It all stems from way back when I was about 16. I attempted to make chocolate chip cookies from scratch that I read the recipe off the Nestle can. The outcome was....oversized cookies that tasted horrible due to the excess baking powder added. Obviously, I ignored the measurements. Ever since that day almost 14 years ago, I have not been able to live down my cooking, although I have mastered mac and cheese without milk and other foods.

Anyways, for Mother's Day I decided to make my mom, stepdad, his fiance, my daughter, and my younger siblings dinner. Don't ask about the family line-up...it's a long story. LOL. Well, I decided I was going to make fried chicken for the first time, salad and biscuits. Totally forgetting that we had a vegetarian in the family, I decided to add a mozzarella and tomato salad. My mom was nice enough to bring a 5lb bag of shrimp, in case the chicken proved disastrous, and 3 pies (chocolate meringue, lemon meringue, and boston cream).

When I printed off the recipe for the chicken, I only read the ingredients instead of the steps on how to make it. Apparently, I thought I was just going to pan fry the chicken in a little oil for a few minutes and it would be done. I got to reading them about half hour before the family came, and noticed I had to cook each batch of chicken for at least 30 minutes! And I only had small frying pans. Holy Hell!  Turns out, my family was late as usual so I was ok on time.

The outcome of the entire dinner was definitely good! The chicken may have not been crispy and most of the skin came off in the pan, but it still tasted good. Don't worry, I won't be opening a fried chicken restaurant anytime soon since I'm pretty sure KFC and Popeye's would put me out of business quick.  The salads were easy and tasty as well was the biscuits and shrimp. Usually I would jump on the pie, but I was able to resist and have one piece of the chocolate meringue and boston cream instead of half like I usually try and do.

It was nice havng the family together sonce it is a pretty rare occurence with everyone's busy schedules. In the future when we do get together, I will make sure to make something easier that includes the grill, since I'm pretty good at that, as well as read the instructions way in advance.

Hope everyone had a Happy Mother's Day!


Pictures to come.....

2 comments:

  1. lol i know how bad your cooking is! remember when you put the plastic bowl on the stove while the oven was on and melted the thing lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA..yes, how could I forget. The poor biscuits!

    ReplyDelete